Basic principles of Request Forms
There are certain basic principles of a project or a service request. How does the IT department cope with digital transformation?
- Make sure the request management has a single portal where all the employees can interact with the IT department. The user can report an issue, request a service, initiate new project proposals, and seek knowledge from a centralized portal.
- There is enough communication among the departments when the project requests are initiated. The departments should be engaged such that they understand that circumventing the process cannot be done. So, when a poorly crafted IT system request form is submitted, it will be difficult for the concerned teams to track and manage the requests and implement them on time.
- When there is an established workflow for common IT system requests, it can be codified within the service request management toolset and allow for automation.
- When the workflow is automated, the approvals can be made easier, and the tasks can be fulfilled without exceptions and conditional approvals.
IT system request form
A system request form can be defined as the form which is used for requesting a new system, requesting any changes in the network or the computer system. The IT system request form either comes from customers or employees to the IT department. If you are a network or a systems administrator, then you can use this template to create IT system request forms.
The templates used to create IT systems request forms comprise fields that are fully customizable with an in-built builder panel. Generally, users can work in this panel without much coding. The users will be allowed to add more questions to collect more information, modify existing fields, and also to remove fields as per necessity. The IT system request forms allow you to embed them in your project management software and also to be sent as an email link, allowing flexible sharing. Each IT systems request form submission will auto-populate your existing project management account and also integrate with other accounts and websites.
A sample IT system request form template comprises of:
|IT System Request Form
||Home Driver Storage
|Customer / Employee Name
|Customer / Employee email id
|Customer / Employee contact number
||Upload any file that you want
Use of request forms in project management
When you use a request form, you can easily keep track of the requests as they come in. For instance, when there is a need for a desktop/laptop , the concerned department uses the IT system request form. The project request form enables departments to set up a formal process where they can track submissions, evaluations, and implementation of those project requests. The departments can have enhanced end-to-end control over the project requests.
A request management software comprises two parts:
1) a project request form builder that admins can access to create and edit the project request template.
2) the project request form used by requesters.
Importance of project request forms
When there is no standard request process, management becomes chaotic as project requests tend to come from various channels: formal business meetings, informal hallway conversations, instant messages, and emails.
When the project requests come from multiple channels and are not coordinated properly, chances of missing crucial details, duplicating information, and conflicting data happen. Moreover, unorganized project requests don’t provide the exact information you are looking for upfront. Not providing complete requirements is one of the main causes of project failure.
In addition, when you have an organized and centralized request management process, the changes can be made without impacting the approvals and assessments. Project request forms can help you make changes without impacting the assessments and approvals. For instance, when employees use an IT system request form, they can enable a more processed and coordinated workflow with each request. They can also prioritize and add structure to the workflow to simplify the entire work request process. Housing these project request forms and processes within your request management software allows the project requests to be centralized in a common place where all the stakeholders can access and monitor them. This improves communication and accountability. All the team members can see what project is going on, what others are doing, and what the upcoming projects are. Project request forms can keep track of the daily progress, and employees can have real-time access to when they have access to request management software.
Some of the features of a project request form include:
- With project request forms, you can automatically set start and end dates for new and existing projects. The dates can be matched with your requested time to make it flexible with your schedule.
- Using visual dashboards, you can segment and monitor different types of project requests efficiently.
- Report, aggregate, and analyze your custom field responses in your project request forms and can display the numerical and other data present in the projects separately for easy understanding.
- The custom field enabled in the project request forms helps you to instantly create a reference for each project or task to manage them easily.
- Well-protected data security is enabled by using request management software as it monitors who has proper access.
Project Request Approval Workflow
Let’s see how the project request forms actually work in detail. So, when an employee submits a project request form for approval, it triggers a business process. This is placed as an event in the list of work items to the concerned approval person. This is generally accessed in the approval field on the project request page when the organization uses request management software or project management software. Here only users with the permission to access the project approval page can approve, decline, return or cost a project request. When the approver does any of these four actions, the project request will be removed from the approver’s worklist. Following are the steps that occur in a project request form approval workflow:
- An employee creates and saves a new project request form. Based on the project initiation, the owner and approver fields will be populated automatically, which marks the status as Pending.
- Now the employee submits the project request form for approval by clicking on the submit button on the project request page. Both the employee and the approver will be notified as Submitted.
- The system sends the submitted project request form to the approver’s worklist and will be notified.
- Now, the approver views the worklist, clicks on the project request link, and reviews it.
- The approver will do any of the following actions based on the project’s nature:Approve:When the approver selects the “approve” option, the system then asks for further ways to respond depending on the nature of the approval needed – if the funding department manager’s approval is required. If the funding manager approves, the status will change to “operationally approved,” and the system returns the project request to the cost page. Here the final approval will be given provided all the funding information is provided correctly. If the funding department declines the project, then the same project request cannot be resubmitted. But when the funding department returns it, you can make necessary changes and resubmit it for approval. If you don’t need the funding department’s approval, you can set the process, and when the concerned approver approves the project request, then the project status becomes “active.”Returns:The approver can return a project request when there isn’t sufficient information mentioned in the project request form. The system automatically updates the project requests when they are returned and adds them to the requester’s worklist. The employee can rework the project request form, make additional changes, and resubmit it. Then the approval process starts from the beginning all over again.Decline/reject:
When the approver declines the project request, it will be automatically updated in the system. If it is properly integrated with the project management system, then the corresponding status approvals will be done quite easily, and the changes can also be monitored effortlessly.
When the approver moves the request to cost, it means that the project manager needs detailed cost information and requests to update it. Once the detailed cost information is provided, then the project manager approves it, and the project becomes active.