Understanding the Budget Approval Workflow
Efficient financial management determines the success of a business. Whether you are a startup or a well-established firm, sound financial management can make your business profitable. The budget approval is a critical financial management process that enables businesses to spend money wisely and stay within expense boundaries.
Expected sales, seasonal fluctuations, market trends, and business goals are some of the points on which budget planning is done. The budget approvals transcend several managerial layers and final approval is given by the Finance.
At the outset, budget management seems like a straightforward journey from planning to approval. However, there are several practical challenges that make it a tedious and prolonged process.
Given that, is there a way to make budget approval transparent and efficient? Workflow automation holds the key!
Before we get into the automation of budget management, we need to understand the budget approval workflow. Here is a broad overview of the budget approval process:
- Setting/planning budget policies
- Preparation of the budget for each department
- Budget consolidation based on organizational guidelines
- Review by top management
- Budget approval by Finance Team
Despite such clearly laid out steps in the budget approval process, most budgets take months to get approved. Why?
The use of archaic budgeting tools, misinformation, human bias, and slow processing are some of the factors that prolong the budget management process.
Streamlining Budget Approval
One of the most common reasons why the budget approval process spans months is the lack of proper process and adequate data. Too many emails are exchanged for validation of data, passing information, and asking for approval.
Workflow automation brings transparency, speed, and accuracy into budget approval. It helps define a process that every person in the organization can easily follow.
Fig: Example of a Budgetary Control Workflow
Automating the budget approval also cuts down on the preparation time as well. An automated budget workflow streamlines the budget approval in the following ways:
- Central data repository for the safety of data and easy retrieval
- Eliminates email overload and brings version control
- Clarifies the role of leadership in the approval process
- Eliminates hours of manual budgeting activities
- Ensures accuracy of data and adherence to company policies
Speed, transparency, accuracy, and consistency can be bought into the budget approval process by automating the workflow.
Benefits of Automating Budget Approval Process
Apart from increasing the speed and transparency of the budget approval process, there are many advantages to automating the workflow.
- More transparency – Automation clearly defines the workflow so that everyone in the loop knows the next steps. Any changes or reviews done are all documented so that everyone stays informed.
- Better accuracy – The budgeting tool gets data directly from accounting, payroll, and expense tools, which eliminates scope for manual errors.
- Standardization – Budgets from various departments are standardized and come in a uniform readable format, irrespective of who prepared them.
- Flexibility – Budgets need to be dynamic to changing market conditions and business goals. Automation brings flexibility into budgeting while maintaining control over workflow and data.
As businesses explore growth opportunities and expand their operations, stronger and consistent budgeting becomes imperative. Automation of budget workflow becomes a priority to ensure seamless, transparent, and consistent budget approval.
Must-have Features of Budget Approval Workflow Automation
Given the advantages of budget approval automation, the next step is choosing the right software for automation. Here are a few must-have features of workflow software:
- Central Repository: The budget-related data must be kept in a central repository that is easy to access. Data should be safely stored and should be easy to access in the future.
- Minimize email load: Budget approval can be delayed due to email overload. The automation software should eliminate email overload and enable version control.
- Track user activities: The automation tool must allow managers/ finance teams to track changes made by users. Real-time view of all changes minimizes the email exchanges for clarifying changes.
- Audit trail: users can conveniently see the changes in the spreadsheets via the audit trail feature.
- Data based predictions: Helps determine when the project team may exceed the initially allotted budget.
Once you automate the budget management workflow, there will be a significant reduction in approval times and the finance department will have better control and visibility over the entire budget approval process.
Cflow is a workflow automation software that can be customized to suit your business needs. The software comes with a simple, easy-to-use user interface that can be accessed via the Internet and mobile. The pre-built workflow library can be customized for operations of all sizes. The software equips you with analytical tools that identify bottlenecks, streamline operations, and increase productivity.
Smooth and transparent financial processing is the key to better business outcomes. Manual budget processing eats upon the productive time of employees.
Automation of budget approval will not only cut out the chaos but also give the management more control and visibility over the status of tasks in the approval process. There is no better time than NOW to automate the budget approval workflow.
Try Cflow for free to know how our software can add value to the budget processing in your organization.