The social media is rife with the #10yearchallenge which showcases how people have changed over the years but what really happened in the world of business?
Did people really embrace technology, brought in automation and other useful utilities to make employee life better and more productive?
The answer is yes and no!
Rewind Back in Time – How automation was like 10 years ago?
Back in the late 2000s, it was a time when technology had not penetrated the world that much. It was in 2007 that the iPhone was first introduced to the world by the charismatic Steve Jobs and it paved way for a lot of things that we see today. Be it cloud storage, the use of tablets in education and automated software evolved from the apps that were first used in smartphones.
Apple’s iOS was followed by Android OS from Google – their competition resulted in the creation of millions of apps across all domains. People slowly moved from using websites to browse news, shop for products to an app-based ecosystem. Today, people get all work done with their hand-held smartphone. The transformation started in 2009 and it reached a peak in 2019, when many of these technologies have become more prevalent and widely adopted.
- The e-commerce industry was not so flourished back in the late 2000s and people still used websites to shop online
- Websites like eBay were more popular than Amazon
- Yahoo news, Yahoo mail was more popular than Google and Gmail
- News sources were in the form of websites where you have to manually go to get your daily dose of content
- News updates, daily quotes, and jokes were delivered in the form of SMS as phones weren’t smartphones back then
- Cloud storage was a thing of the future and people still relied on local hard disks, CDs and DVDs to store their content
- Lack of internet speeds didn’t enable organizations and businesses to automate their tasks, use mobile apps or other ways to stay connected
- Paper-based transactions played a major role as the internet was not widely adopted or available on phones yet
The Future is Here – 2019 #10yearslater
Everything changed, literally everything with the advent of smartphones. Apple iPhone was the start which made phones much smarter than they used to be since the days of Nokia. In the next few years, Android OS emerged out of the ashes despite all its shortcomings and became the world’s most widely adopted mobile operating system of them all.
The main reason being the fact that Android phones were especially cheap compared to the expensive, premium iPhones. Besides, Google pushed it further with its high-quality Nexus phones that soon reached the audience in a way like no other. The Google Play Store embraced all types of apps that increased the number of apps and today you will hardly find a service that doesn’t have a dedicated app in the app store or play store.